Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |
Bitcoin Economist Saifedean Ammous, author of The Bitcoin Standard, talks monetary history, hard money, polymaths, geopolitics, and how money is a very human issue.
Dr. Saifedean Ammous is a premier expert in the world on the economics of Bitcoin. In 2018 he published The Bitcoin Standard.
He is an associate professor of economics at Adnan Kassar School of Business and a foreign member of the Center on Capitalism and Society at Columbia University.
He holds a Ph.D. in Sustainable Development from Columbia University.
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 1 - Monetary History
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 2 - Censorship Resistance
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 3 - Economic Calculation
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 4 - Time Preference
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 5 - Store of Value
- 00:00:46 - Welcome & Intro.
- 00:01:19 – Monetary history and how it relates to the human race.
- 00:06:05 – The properties of money and how relevant they are for today.
- 00:09:11 – Stock to flow ratio explained and why platinum, titanium, and other metals rarer than gold don’t have any monetary demand.
- 00:12:29 – Why do people gravitate to the hardest money?
- 00:18:12 – Why have the polymaths always been interested in money?
- 00:19:39 – How does money factor into geopolitical issues?
- 00:22:17 – Is gold really a barbarous relic like Keynes said?
- 00:25:46 – What does “economic calculation” mean in the Austrian school of economics?
- 00:31:18 – Should money be ONLY money or is it OK for money to have alternate uses? (industrial uses, for example)