Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |
Saifedean Ammous talks about time preference and how that has influenced civilization throughout history.
Dr. Saifedean Ammous is a premier expert in the world on the economics of Bitcoin. In 2018 he published The Bitcoin Standard.
He is an associate professor of economics at Adnan Kassar School of Business and a foreign member of the Center on Capitalism and Society at Columbia University.
He holds a Ph.D. in Sustainable Development from Columbia University.
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 1 - Monetary History
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 2 - Censorship Resistance
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 3 - Economic Calculation
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 4 - Time Preference
- A Week With Saifedean Ammous - Part 5 - Store of Value
- 00:00:46 - Welcome & Intro.
- 00:01:32 - Trace and Saifidean give definitions for time preference and explain why it is important.
- 00:07:16 - Saifidean gives an example of someone with high time preference.
- 00:09:46 - How does time preference and money play into the growth of the individual and society?
- 00:12:35 - Hard money has always been involved in societal growth.
- 00:16:01 - It is the lowering of time preference that initiates the process of civilization.
- 00:17:36 - Health, wealth, experiences and relationships are the pillars to a fulfilled life and BTC as sound money can help improve every area.
- 00:23:26 - All major world religions have had doctrine related to sound money.
- 00:24:56 - The role of time preference in the family and how the lowering of time preference has hurt families.
- 00:27:46 - A discussion on Keynes and his time preference.
- 00:33:51 - Every moment of your life you are making decisions that will make your life better or worse.